Archive for June 2nd, 2009

Failure and Bottled Water

June 2, 2009

It’s no secret that we love Fail Blog (G-rated version here), because they have posts like this:

fail owned pwned pictures

And this:
fail owned pwned pictures
(Although this sign really makes me love New Cuyama.  Who else puts random addition on their City Sign?    New Cuyama is about 40 miles due north of Santa Barbara, and I totally want to visit there now.)

Fail Blog also posts signs like this:
fail owned pwned pictures

This last post actually made me pause for a while.  Yes, the 167 bottles was clearly wrong, but working backwards suggests that this sign intended to say that Americans drank 50 billion bottles of water in 2006, that 32% (16 billion) were recycled, and the remaining 68% (34 billion) ended up in the landfill.  And that just seemed wrong.  There are about 300 million people in the United States [assuming that Americans refers to the single country and not all of North or South America], so that would means that in 2006 there were over 160 bottles of water sold per person.  And that couldn’t be right, could it?

Actually, it could.  According to the Beverage Marketing Company, there were over 8.7 billion gallons of bottled water sold in the US in 2007.   If there are 16 oz. of water per bottle, then each gallon would give 8 bottles, leading to well over 60 billion bottles of water sold in 2007, which is in the same ballpark as above.  Who knew?

(This reminds me of Chris Jordan’s photographs.  And lo, it turns out he has one of bottles, partway down the page.)

Advertisements